Wednesday, August 26, 2009

2% Other

At our house we eat a lot of hot dogs. I mean, who doesn't like a good wiener, right? They're quick and easy to make, there is a wide variety of toppings you can put on them (sauerkraut is my favorite), you can eat them with one hand, and my picky, younger kids love them. We've always got a freezer full of them. Anyways, Avery just HAD to inform me that the FDA only requires hot dog makers to use 98% beef, pork, or chicken (whatever the hot dog is made out of) in their hot dogs, and that the other 2% can pretty much be whatever else falls into the mix. i.e. insects, rodent droppings, rodents themselves etc. I had always heard that hot dogs were made out of "lips and bumholes", or just the leftover parts of the animals, and that never stopped me from eating them, so I doubt this will either, but at least now I know that if I bite into something crunchy, it might just be a cockroach leg, or a mouse turd. Mmmmmm, protein!

6 comments:

  1. That is pretty cute. My dad always said they were made of "lips and bumholes", it is good to know that only 2% of the dogs is that...or something else :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we like the ones "that answer to a higher law" so we're sure whatever is in the all beef "whatever parts are used" version surely must have been blessed...therefore making them safe to eat... holy hotdog!! =O

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like hot dogs too...so it's never stopped me either!
    So I thought I had posted the link to your new blog on mine but I guess I didn't. Sorry! I just thought you hadn't been blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After that post, I am totally ready for a "dog"! Hey, I wanted to know how to make the flower hair bows you make with tights?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the COSTCO polish dogs are more special than regular weiners. Maybe 5% which gives me the burps for HOURS and hours after I eat one. I love it! Cher

    ReplyDelete